Introduction: 8 Blogarticles in English on methods to terminate an employment contract
Under Dutch Law there are various ways to terminate an employment contract. This blog provides an overview of six alternative methods by which an employment contract may legally be terminated or may come to an end:
- Notice given during a probation period
- Notice given with immediate effect (summary dismissal for ‘urgent reasons’)
- Termination based on reasonable grounds
- Termination by mutual consent
- The agreed period of time for a fixed-term contract elapses.
When terminating the employment contract both the employee and the employer need to respect a notice period.
In the event that the employment contract is terminated, the employer may be obliged to pay a transitional allowance and/or severance pay to the employee (see blog part 8 of 8).